Verein zur Erhaltung der östlichen Altstadt St. Jürgen / St. Johannis e.V.

Verein zur Erhaltung der östlichen Altstadt St. Jürgen / St. Johannis e.V.

Dansk Sproge Deutsche Sprache

Round, Especially, Barrel Roof?

House Johannisstraße 36 was owned and administered by the hospital and monastery "Zum Heiligen Geist", built at the end of the 18th century. First the front house was built, later the rear house. The characteristic feature of the building is the roof shape, the plank roof in arched form, similar to the barrel roof, having a uniform, continuous rounding. The planks roof is a rare form, in which double layered planks or plank sections are borrowed together and then cut round. The arch form makes it possible to bridge large spans in a support-free manner, with a small material consumption. The usable area in the roof space is also larger than with a saddle roof.

Plank roofs should have been developed for the first time in France in the middle of the 16th century. In Germany, plank roofs were built between 1790 and 1850.

It is not known for what purpose the house was built on Johannisstrasse 36 by the monastery. It was not until 1847 that the incorporation of the then southern St. Jürgen. Archives of the ensuing period showed that the front house was a quarter of a merchant and later a brush making shop. The remaining building parts were divided up in small rented apartments.

The building was refurbished in 1993 by the current owners and users and the roof form was made visible on the street side. The charm of the property lies in the central location in a beautiful neighbourhood and in the large garden with a difference in height of almost 20 m.

Old View



More Culture Spots